The National Museum of Cambridge Glass offers group tours during Museum operating hours. Here is a description of what you can expect on a group tour. New for 2017 is an optional "Time Traveler" experience, where you can see what a Cambridge glasshouse family was like in the early 20th century. Finally, we have a special Christmas at the Glasshouse tour during the City of Cambridge's "Dickens Village" season (November-December) where you'll be greeted by docents in costumes of the times.
136 South Ninth Street
Open Apr - Dec
Wed – Sat (9 – 4)
and Sunday (noon to 4)
Tour groups are accepted during additional hours by calling 740-432-4245
|Open: April through October
Wednesday – Saturday 9am to 4pm
Sunday – Noon to 4pm
Closed Easter and July 4th
Group Tours: 740-432-4245
On April 3, 2002, the National Cambridge Collectors, Inc. proudly opened a premier glass museum in downtown Cambridge, Ohio. It houses a superb collection of Cambridge glassware produced by The Cambridge Glass Company from 1902 to 1958.
The museum is located at 136 South Ninth Street, one block south of the main street of Cambridge, and is open April through October with hours of operation shown at the bottom of this page.
The year 2002 marked the 100th anniversary of the making of the first piece of Cambridge Glass (the Big X pitcher, shown below and to the right). The Museum Grand Opening celebration took during NCC Convention week on June 27, 2002. We're easy to find - here's a map of the Cambridge area.
The museum features over 10,000 pieces of glassware made by the Cambridge Glass Company, with an interpretive area demonstrating how glass was made from gathering, shaping, etching, and engraving.
The Sample Room features the door and shelving from the original factory, and a dining room display features a table setting arranged on period furniture much as it would have appeared in the early 1900s.
Guests can do their own rubbings from original etching plates in the Education Center, and view a movie made in the 1940s by the Cambridge Glass Company.
Pieces of Cambridge Glass and jewelry made from Cambridge Glass are available for sale in the gift shop, along with books and other items throughout the museum.
It is important to note that this new Museum replaces the original National Museum of Cambridge Glass that had been built years earlier by the efforts of NCC members. The first Museum was badly damaged by floods in 1998. In fact, the flooding resulted in the 1998 Annual Convention being shut down a day early, in order to allow the participants to "get out of town" before the floods got worse. The decision was made to replace the original Museum, and find a location on higher ground, out of the floodplain. This turned out to be a very wise decision, as 2004 saw another flood at the old Museum site.
In only two years, members came together to locate another suitable building, owned by the American Electric Power Company (AEP) and located near downtown Cambridge, high above the floodplain. By June of 2000, the building had been purchased, and was available for inspection by NCC members during the Convention that year. Here are some photos of the AEP building from that summer. The new National Museum of Cambridge Glass can also be considered a memorial to the hard work of earlier members of the NCC in constructing that first Museum.
In the early 1900s, Guernsey County, and particularly Cambridge, became known worldwide for its production of quality glass, mainly from The Cambridge Glass Company. Today, Cambridge glass is a much sought-after collectible. The company produced thousands of designs and color combinations, considered one of the finest quality glassware lines in the world.
The National Museum of Cambridge Glass display area is made up of 1250 lineal feet of 16" shelving, where visitors are able to experience a wide variety of examples of this admired glass. It is an awesome beauty of well-lit, sparkling glass and warm oak display cases.
The History of Glassmaking is represented using mannequins in 1100 square feet of exhibits with a mock furnace, tools, molds, and other items involved in the manufacturing process of fine handmade glassware. Within this area, visitors can see an etching table, a decorating area, and an engraving/cutting area.
Included in the museum is a 100 square foot Dining Room display. Using period furniture as its backdrop, the room is appointed in examples of a finely set table in the early 1900s.
The Sample Room played a very important part in the sales of The Cambridge Glass Company. Another 100 square foot room has been created to represent a Sample Room. This room uses original sample room furniture and shelving. The door itself is the original Sample Room door from The Cambridge Glass Company facility. Cambridge glassware is offered for sale to visitors to the Museum in the Sample Room.
In addition to original Cambridge glassware, an area has been created to display reproductions. With the advent of reproductions, it is important that collectors learn to distinguish between original and reproduction items. This display will help to make these distinctions crystal clear.
Pieces of Cambridge Glass and jewelry made from Cambridge Glass (shown at right) are available for sale in the gift shop, along with books and other items throughout the museum. Also available (on DVD) for purchase and viewing are the video "The Crystal Lady," which was an original movie made by the company as an advertisement for Cambridge glassware, and a DVD showing a presentation on the Rose Point pattern.
The museum is located at 136 South Ninth Street. It is handicaped accessible with plenty of parking available. It is open April through December: Wednesday – Saturday (9 – 4) and Sunday (noon to 4). Closed Easter and July 4th. Most years the Museum has limited hours during November and December. Check this web site for specific dates and times. Tour groups are accepted during additional hours by calling 740-432-4245 in advance.