Cambridge History From News Articles

by Kurt Tostenson
Issue No. 257 - September 1994

The Daily Jeffersonian
April 14, 1917

"After many weeks of arduous toil the Cambridge Glass Company has its new show room at 49 West Twenty-Third Street in readiness and it not only ranks among the handmade glass display rooms in America, but also reflects great credit on President Arthur J. Bennett and local manager D. King Irwin.

The general decorative scheme is Italian Renaissance, the woodwork being weathered oak. The wall fixtures are all mirror backed and fitted with plate glass shelves on oxidized supports. The wall tables under those fixtures, as well as the separate tables on the floor have legs beautifully carved in Italian Renaissance style. The wall fixtures are somewhat over 7 feet in height. Above the wall is done in rich cream tone, with the ceiling in white. The floor is of hardwood. A few of the table fixtures are cloth covered, while two beautiful round tables are entirely in weathered oak finish.

The samples are most attractively and systematically arranged to show them off to best advantage and for the buyer's convenience. Pressed ware, blown ware and fancy specialties are kept entirely separate, while in the rear a separate room, are the druggist sundries samples, etc. A packing room is also walled off close to the freight elevators.

In one corner of the show room on the Twenty-Third Street front is Mr. Irwin's private office, next to which is the general office. Both of these are fitted with mahogany furniture. The show rooms which are located on the fifth floor of the building have a frontage on Twenty-third Street of 50 feet, and a depth of 86 feet, the exceptional width providing splendid natural illumination. Artificial illumination is furnished by celestially globes etched to correspond with the show room fixtures. These are hung from the ceiling by handsome oxidized chains."

The above is a clipping from the Pottery Glass and Brass Salesman magazine of New York City in April issue, which speaks well for the New York office of the Cambridge Glass Company.

The Daily Jeffersonian
March 27, 1954

W. L. Orme, Sr., president of Cambridge Glass Co., is shown presenting Friday a wrist watch to Orie J. Mosser, 700 Highland Ave., factory manager, in observance of his long tenure of service to the company. Mr. Mosser completed 50 years service with the company on Jan. 1.

Mr. Mosser, who is 68, started work at the Cambridge plant on New Year's Day of 1904 as a skilled tradesman. He began learning the "gathering" trade when but 12 years old in a Marietta glass company.

Employed at the Cambridge Glass as a "gather," Mr. Mosser worked his way through several departments, and was subsequently made night foreman. He has been plant manager of the hot metal department for the past 36 years.

Official recognition of his long tenure of service was made by company officials Friday when they presented him with the watch. The glass company, which is one of the oldest manufacturing firms in Cambridge, has similarly honored eight other employees since 1951 in recognition of half a century of service.

Luncheon is held At Beverly Hills
The Daily Jeffersonian
June 2, 1956

The Cambridge Glass Co. closed Saturday its annual sales meeting with a luncheon at the Beverly Hills Restaurant. The meeting which had been in progress since Wednesday, ended with a note of much enthusiasm about the immediate, as well as long range, future of the company and its position in the field of domestic homemade glass.

Theodore Korn, president of the company, reviewed the past years' activities critically and outlined a broad program particularly regarding the aggressive and courageous development of new methods of merchandising, and additional avenues of distribution. The program was received by the company's representatives wholeheartedly, and all pledged to perform their assigned parts forcefully to insure its success.

President Korn announced to his organization at the sales meeting the just completed merger of Cambridge Glass Co., major stockholder in the company, into the Morrison Brass Corp., Ltd, of Toronto, Canada, where four companies were joined together into one organization. He stressed that each will lend the other further strength in many areas. The Morrison Brass Corp.. has for many years been listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange and is a well reputed financially strong corporation, Mr. Korn pointed out.

While it is too early to make any sort of prediction, Mr. Korn pointed out the favorable effect this merger may prove to have upon the value of Cambridge Glass Corporation stock. He stated, "I will not be surprised if in time our stockholders will benefit by this merger through considerable term capital gains on their investment in the stock of our company." He emphasized that this change will have no affect upon the operations of the Cambridge Glass Company, and will cause no change in operating policy or operating management personal, and he looks forward to the future with a great deal of enhanced confidence.

The meeting continued through Friday and Saturday morning and wound up with this noon's luncheon, at which time representative Ralph Cross of Columbus, Ga., was present with a gold watch as the salesman who has opened the largest number of new accounts in 1956. At the same time, Mr. Korn announced that another watch will be given for the same achievement at the next annual sales meeting.

The sales meeting was run on the keynote that no member of this organization minimizes the problems which a domestic hand glass company faces, but also that the teamwork, deep understanding, and sincerity, coupled with the will-to-do which so strongly exists in this organization continues to provide a rich source of further creative development of an old industry and will insure continued growth. "The success of the Cambridge Glass Company," stated Mr. Korn, "will further focus national attention upon our All-American City."

The Daily Jeffersonian
April 1, 1957

St. Francis Hospital has been selected by the Cambridge Glass Co. for hospitalization of its patients, it was announced by Theodore Korn, company president.

Mr. Korn stated that Dr. Paul O. Huth has been designated as physician for glass company employees and E. J. Alexander as chiropodist. He pointed out that use of St. Francis Hospital will be made in all emergency cases in which the glass company is involved.

The Daily Jeffersonian
April 3, 1957

Resignation of O. J. Mosser as plant manager of the Cambridge Glass Co. after 53 years continuous service with the company was announced Wednesday. His successor is his son, Thomas Mosser.

The resignation became effective last Saturday. He had served as plant manager since shortly after World War I.

Mr. Mosser is recognized as one of the most experienced men in the Ohio glassware industry. The Cambridge Glass Co. was formed in 1902 and he became employed by the company two years later in the capacity of gathering boy.

He received numerous promotions and his first executive position was night foreman, which he held five years. When the company operated a glass plant at Byesville during World War I, he became its manager. Following the war, Mr. Mosser became manager of the Cambridge plant when the two operations were combined in this city. He had continuously held that position until his retirement from association with the company.

During his over a half-century of work in the glassware industry, he became experienced in all phases of production and Cambridge glassware gained a worldwide reputation for extraordinary and expert workmanship.

"I have no intention of retiring as long as my health is as good as it is at present," Mr. Mosser declared Wednesday. "I have several propositions under consideration, however, I have not yet made a decision."

Thomas Mosser has been associated with the Cambridge Glass Co. 12 years. Under his father's guidance, he has received experience invaluable to him in his new position.


Trustee Is Appointed For Plant
The Daily Jeffersonian
July 31, 1958

Reorganization of the Cambridge Glass Co. to force a showdown with figures federal authorities charge are involved in the nation's underworld syndicate was proposed in an application filed in U. S. District Court at Columbus Wednesday afternoon.

As a result of the court action, the Cambridge Glass Co. is expected to resume early operations. It was reliably reported Thursday to have a backlog of $65,000 in orders and the plan is to get the plant back into operation and fill these orders as quickly as possible.

Judge Mel Underwood considered the application and appointed Atty. Clarence Graham of Zanesville as trustee. Under the latter's supervision, efforts were started Thursday to get the Cambridge plant back into production without delay.

The alleged underworld syndicate figure involved is said by federal officers to be Larry Knohl of Long Beach, L.I., New York, who was a grand jury witness in the notorious gangland chief slaying of Anastasia in a New York barbershop several months ago. He claims to control a majority of the Cambridge Glass Co. stock.

The reorganization application was filed in U. S. court by five Cambridge directors of the company, Miss Martha Mitchell, acting president, Walter O'Malley, Thomas Walshe Jr., W. H. Driggs and Atty. Frank C. Leyshon. Atty. Leyshon represented them in court Wednesday afternoon at Columbus.

Cambridge Glass Co. has had a hectic career since it was acquired in the fall of 1954 by Sidney Albert, Akron super industrial stock manipulator. Albert has been under investigation in stock transactions in numerous industrial companies which he acquired title to.

The methods used in the stock transactions have been a closely guarded secret, however, just before creditors closed in on Albert, control of the Cambridge Glass Co., was reputedly transferred to Morrison Brass Corp. of Canada. Just how Larry Knohl got mixed up in the deal and the manner in which he gained control of a majority of Cambridge Glass Co. stock is not clear to investigators, however, he has represented himself as the person to make all decisions concerning matters of the company.

The local directors of the company charge that, because of the questionable character of Knohl, financial assistance could not be obtained except from him and that was extremely difficult. He would not provide the funds to meet the demands of creditors and there were times when the payrolls were unpaid, directors of the company charge. The climax that precipitated the court action came when he failed to carry out his promise to make $20,000 available to the company several days ago.

Knohl visited Cambridge some months ago and rode around in a big automobile equipped with a telephone. It was reliably reported his chauffeur served as bodyguard. He took over by ousting Theodore Korn as president and general manager of the company.

The Ohio Fuel Gas Co. shut off the gas at the plant some time ago because of unpaid bills, however, sufficient gas was obtained from local production sources to protect the plant equipment. Telephone service to the plant was also cut off for similar reasons. An effort was made Thursday to have both services restored at once.

Atty. Charles Moore, Cambridge, will represent the trustees and Atty. Leyshon the company.

Judge Underwood referred the case to special master Gail H. Butt, referee in bankruptcy, Columbus.