Cambridge History from News Articles

by Charles Upton
Issue No. 190 - February 1989

The Daily Jeffersonian, Cambridge, Ohio.
Friday, April 1, 1910

Lore City, Ohio - A. W. Johnson, formerly of this place, but now living at Saginaw, Mich., and who is a practical coal driller and mineral tester, sends a sample of white sand resembling granulated sugar which he has discovered for a company near his Michigan home. The strata is located about 40 feet beneath the surface of the ground and is 100 feet in thickness. It will be used to manufacture the very finest quality of cut glass and the deposit is said to be of inestimable value. Mr. Johnson is the first man to succeed in putting a hole through to the bottom of this sand vein.

The Daily Jeffersonian, Cambridge, Ohio.
Saturday, May 14, 1910

J.J. Kelley has resigned his position as mould maker at the Cambridge Glass Plant, effective Saturday, May 14th. When interviewed at his home on East Gaston Avenue, Saturday, he confirmed the report that he had resigned, but when asked as to his plans for the future stated that he had decided on nothing definite, and that he intended to take a rest before engaging in anything.

Mr. Kelly has been connected with the Cambridge Glass Plant since the start, and was regarded one of the most expert and valuable employees. Mr. and Mrs. Kelly expect to leave about the first of July and go to Barnesville. Their many friends will sincerely regret to have them leave Cambridge.

The Daily Jeffersonian, Cambridge, Ohio.
Monday, June 20, 1910

Following the usual custom the Cambridge and Byesville glass plants will shut down for two weeks during the month of July. Both will shut down Saturday, July 2nd, and resume operations, Monday morning, July 18th. The shut down of the glass plants all over the country is in accordance with a clause in the union scale, which requires all union plants to give the men a two weeks vacation during the month of July.

The Daily Jeffersonian, Cambridge, Ohio.
Friday, June 24, 1910

Joseph W. Rogers, age 38, fell while at work in the Glass Plant Friday morning, and sustained severe cuts and wounds to his right arm. He was reaching high above his head to adjust a motor, when he stepped backward, alighting on broken glass.

Mr. Rogers went to Dr. Ramsey's office where his arm was dressed. One jagged wound, three inches in length, extending crosswise on the arm, and several smaller ones were also closed. A piece of skin one inch square was tarn out and the hand was badly lacerated.

Although the wounds are exceedingly painful they are not considered dangerous.