by Dave Rankin
Issue 32, December 1975

For our discussion this month we are going to jump ahead to the 1950's and take a look at two more specialty labels.

Our first label is of limited usage and is very self-explanatory. It reads: COMMEMORATING THE REOPENING OF THE CAMBRIDGE GLASS CO. 28TH MARCH, 1955. This label is a large label measuring approximately 36mm x 45mm and is printed in black ink on gold foil paper. It is shown in Figure 1, below.

The second trademark in our discussion is a registered trademark. The registration statement shows that the CAMBRIDGE SQUARE trademark was first used January 7, 1952, in commerce the same date. Although the first usage was in 1952, the application of registration was not filed until January 5, 1955, just prior to the reopening of the plant in March. Registration # 622285 was granted on February 28, 1956, in class 33.

1956 New Logo
Figure 1
Cambridge Square
Figure 2
Cambridge Square Logo
Figure 3

We have not confirmed if an actual paper label was employed on the Cambridge Square line. We have, however, included two usage examples in this article. Figure 2 comes from the registration and Figure 3 is a small metal display sign with black and gold enamel approximately 1¾ in. by 2¾ in.

There is a difference in the shape of the lettering used in these two figures. This was explored further in national advertising and the squarist block letters, as in Figure 3, were used consistently.

Next month MORE specialty trademarks.