by Dave Rankin
Issue 27, July, 1975

To date, we have discussed NEARCUT which took us to 1922 and the CAMBRIDGE Triangle C Logo paper labels which began in 1927. This month we will fill the gap. As indicated in our NEARCUT discussion, a new trademark made its appearance in trade advertising in late 1922. It was the Triangle C. We did not find any trademark registration for the Triangle C, therefore, we do not have the informational advantage we have had with the other trademarks.

In looking for some evidence that the Triangle C logo was actually used on the glassware in the early to mid-20's, we located several possibilities. The best evidence is a Primrose bowl with a Triangle C stamped on the bottom. Our research indicates that the Primrose color was introduced in early 1923 and does not appear to have been produced for more than a couple of years.

Before we can discuss how long the Triangle C Logo was used, we must make a distinction. There are two marks of differing sizes. Both are triangles of 3 equal sides. One measures approximately 8mm per side while the other is 5mm.

The 8mm size is the older mark and is the one on the Primrose bowl mentioned above. It has also been observed on Rubina Honeycomb pieces. Our findings show that Rubina was introduced in 1925. Although we have no specific evidence of usage of the large mark in 1926, we would like to think that it was and that the switch to the smaller mark occurred simultaneously with the introduction of the CAMBRIDGE paper label in 1927.

The thought occurred to us that if the small Triangle C Logo started at the same time as the Triangle C paper label, maybe both were discontinued at the same time. This does appear to be substantially the case. Many new lines were introduced by Cambridge from 1927 thru 1937 including Decagon, 3400, Tally Ho, Seashell and, in 1936, Caprice. We have observed the Triangle C Logo on all of these lines but in decreasing frequency on later lines. For all practical purposes, the usage of the small Triangle C Logo does coincide with the paper labels and, accordingly, we will use the same date range of 1927-1937.

In summary, we have the large (8mm) Triangle C Logo used 1923-1926 and the small (5mm) Triangle CC Logo used 1927-1937.

We would also like to ask for some more assistance on the Triangle C Logo mark. If each reader will send in a list of articles in their own collections which have the large mark, we can get a better feel for the extent and period of usage. Additionally, it would be valuable to know if anyone has seen Pristine pieces with the small mark. This information or any other information you send will be used for later update articles. Send the information to the author at the club's address: PO Box 416, Cambridge, Ohio 43762

Next month we will conclude our discussion of general line trademarks with GENUINE HAND MADE CAMBRIDGE paper labels.